We love a protein bar for pre-workout fuel, fighting our afternoon hunger, or really any time we want to get full fast with out the excessive carbs or sugar. As much as we love a protein bar we have a hard time justifying the price, which adds up fast when we’re loading up on protein. Desi from Unconventional Kitchen helped us with an easy protein bar recipe. Not only did Desi get us a gluten free recipe, but it requires no baking, just mix and freeze. The recipe calls for peanut butter, but feel free to switch out for your favorite nut butter.
Homemade Protein Bars
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 1/2 cup dry oatmeal
- 2 Tablespoons flax seed or ground chia seed
- 2-4 scoops protein powder (this will affect the taste, so make sure you pick a good one)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large dark chocolate bar or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Mash the bananas in a medium sized bowl
- Next add everything but the chocolate. So that would be the oatmeal, flax or chia seeds, protein powder, peanut butter, shredded coconut, raisins, water, and melted butter or coconut oil. Mix it well.
- Press the bar mixture (it will be a bit sticky) into a 8×8 inch pan lined with tinfoil or parchment paper.
- Freeze until hard for at least 2 hours. Cut into 8-10 bars.
- Melt the chocolate. Dip the bars in the chocolate. The chocolate will harden really quickly because the bars are so cold.
- Wrap the bars in plastic wrap or foil and store in the freezer.
Feel free to leave out the coconut if it’s not your preference; and if you really don’t like the taste of coconut you can switch out the coconut oil for melted butter. Make sure you check out Unconventional Kitchen for even more easy, healthy recipes.